Sunday, April 13, 2008

David Robert Horsley Family


Early history and explanation by Joyce Richardson

David Robert Horsley was born in West Walton, Norfolk, England. In 1892, he married Emma Holden from Marham, Norfolk, England. They moved to Leicester where David worked as a bricklayer. Their first three children were born there. Sometime between about 1895 - 1897, Mormon missionaries baptized David and Emma, and the new converts immigrated to Utah. Their last three children were born in Bountiful, Utah.

In August of 2001, I received a phone call from my Aunt Barbara. She wondered if I knew how to find out more about the immigration of her Horsley Grandparents. Barbara wanted to know what year they had come over, and perhaps which ship they come on.

West Walton, England

She had been talking to my mother, Bernice Sayre Gudmundsen, who had indicated that I was interested in genealogy. What is really remarkable is that I had just returned from a presentation on the new Ellis Island Internet Site and knew a little bit about it. I told my aunt that I would look on the internet to see what I could find.


I searched the site and at first could not find them. But then when I tried searching for the names of the children, I found the family. The father’s name had been abbreviated to Dd., which Is why I did not find it at first. I also found out the name of the ship. I should have been able to see a photo of the actual manifest with their names, but there was a “bug” in the site so I couldn’t get that. (About a year later I searched the site again and someone has fixed the bug and I was able to get a picture of the actual manifest.) But I printed out the transcription of the manifest and a picture of the ship. I called my aunt back within about an hour of her call with all the information she had been searching for. I found out they had come on the ship Furnessia on May 11, 1897 with their three oldest children, Arthur, four years-old, Ethel two years-old, and Mabel four months-old.


Barbara was elated. We both felt that she was guided by the spirit to call the exact person (me) who knew how to help her. It was a wonderful feeling. The next day I received this email from her.

Subject: Re: Information Found!!

Date: 8/30/01 5:46:15 PM Mountain Daylight Time


Dear Joyce,

Where did yesterday go? I spent much of the day contacting friends and relatives about the Ellis Island find. I am still very excited about what you have done for all of us. I have informed my family about the find but as yet not heard from them. Aunt Linda called me by phone yesterday evening, and she is as excited as we are. I also let her know about my feeling that this family must get on the ball and start writing our histories and memories of those gone before us. The first thing will be to write all the memories of our Grandparents since there doesn’t seem to be anything put together up to this point. We have lost the Grandparents, your Great-Grands, so it is up to me, Bernice, and Virgil. Linda was born shortly after Grandma Horsley passed away and I don’t know how much memory of Grandpa she would have.

I have gotten al enthused about getting histories done because I have been retying several histories on Grant’s side. In fact, I recently retyped his Grandmothers’ who was the daughter of CCA Christensen. My brother-in-law in Arizona is working on retyping CCA’s history at present. Well, I would go on, but it has really made me feel that we need to get our families moving on getting histories done. I have put together some of my memories for both the Horsleys and Sayres and also Jensen side. I have gotten the feel for histories, and I recently typed up what I had been doing since High School for an old High School friend who had recently made contact with me. Once you get started, the memories and words begin to flow.

I guess you already know that your mother called me this morning, and I gave her the above “what our family needs to do,” and I think I convinced her to get started on putting her memories of the grandparents down, and I told her that I would be glad to receive the memories and put them into histories. This goes for everyone and it would be a real treat for me to see this done by everyone.

I plan on contacting Millie and letting her know what is going on with all of this. I had conversed with Nello about the Ellis Island possibilities, and I’m sure that she would want to be included. We consider her one of the family, and my sister. I intend to send messages also to Virgil by mail. It would be good to get the males’ thoughts and memories too. I intended to let you know about my family, but since this is turning into a book, I will save that until next time.

I can’t tell you enough how much I appreciate your doing the search and finding all the great information. I do believe that I was inspired to call you, whom I haven’t seen forever! You were there and responded! I am terribly grateful. Thank you, let’s keep in touch.

Love,

Aunt Barbara (and Grant too.)

---------------------------------------------------------------

I mailed the copies of the information to her. The following is her reply.

Date: Saturday September 1, 2001 12:25:28 PM

Dear Joyce,

I received all the information you sent PLUS a picture with you and your family. How very special that was of you. When I received the information you sent, it came in the mail at noon, the time our mailman usually gets here. I was so giddy that I acted like a kid again. I held the papers, not wanting to put them down, with a big smile on my face. Grant started laughing at me, and then I realized how I was acting, and it was good for the soul. I finally was able to let them go in my sewing/craft room. I think I smiled all day!! You are the one who has put that smile on my face, and I can’t tell you how much I appreciate your taking hold and following through with the search.

Thank You again.


No comments: