Sunday, April 13, 2008

Virgil Nathan Sr.

Virgil Nathan Sayre

This is a Father’s Day tribute to Virgil Nathan Sayre Sr. from his daughter, Barbara Jensen.

Daddy - Some Memories of you.
I remember...

I remember you teaching us how to snag a fish off the pier in the early morning hours, what a thrill to enjoy your company.

I remember traveling at night to visit in Oregon and how still I tried to be, sitting in the back in the middle when we stopped for you to sleep and I couldn’t.

I remember how at Christmas time if you had purchased a clothing item for one of my presents, it always fit, not too large or too small.

I remember and appreciate what a soft touch you were if we wanted money to go to the show, and we tried not to take advantage of that.

I remember how your look of disappointment when I was out of line would crush me and do more than any punishment could ever do.

I remember how we found in the garage the doll beds you had worked on for Christmas and how

Violet and Virgil Sayre excited we were for Christmas to come.

I remember your patience in helping us shop for gifts, keeping us separated and unaware of the others purchases.

I remember how you transported me for Mutual every week to another ward for a whole year because there was no class for me in our ward, and you patiently, kindly transported whomever asked because they needed a ride, to the point of being taken advantage of, but you were still patient and understanding.

I remember that I can only remember twice that you displayed anger, oh that I could exemplify that trait.

I remember how proud you were when you became “Grandpa,” and now you are a Great-Grandpa.

I remember how you have enjoyed fishing and camping, and the strawberries you brought us when you were working out of town.

I remember you selling Watkins Products during the depression and how you were sometimes home when we came home from school, which was okay with me.

I remember how dedicated you are to what you believe in, and I appreciate that dedication.

I remember you calling me “Bobbie” and I treasured that, and the devastation when I had my long hair cut in a Victory Bob. Your little girl started to grow up.

I remember you visiting me in the hospital when I had my appendix out, and I was a “long” way from home in north Hollywood.

I remember how proud you were when I performed on stage and supportive when I flubbed.

I have and treasure many more “I Remembers” which add up to my love and appreciation.

1901 about 1985

No comments: