Sunday, June 14, 2009

Family Songs

Gudmundsen Family Song Book

I have so many wonderful memories of singing these songs with my grandparents, aunts, uncles, and family. They had beautiful voices and sang every time we got together. Many of these songs go back over four generations. Please keep the memory of these songs in our family!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------



My Evaline

Traditional Barbershop Quartet Song

My Dad and I sang this every day as he drove me to junior highschool


My Evaline, won't you be mine?

Won't you come and let me whisper in your ear,

Oh...ooo..ooo.


Way down yonder in the old corn field for you, I'll pine.

Sweeter than the honey, to the honeybee.

I love you, say you love me.

Meet me in the shade, of the old apple tree.

Oh.... oh....

Eva-Iva-Ova-Avaline



Old Dan Tucker

1843

Old Dan Tucker was a rough old man.

Washed his face in a fryin’ pan.

Combed his hair with a wagon wheel.

Died with a toothache in his heel.


Old Mrs. Tucker is so rough an’ fat.

Face is black as a dead man’s hat.

Eyes bug out and her nose bugs in.

Top of her lip hangs over her chin.


Look out the way for old Dan Tucker.

He’s too late to eat his supper.

Supper’s over and dinner’s cookin’

Old Dan Tucker’s just standin’ there lookin’,



Freckled Frog

My Grandpa Austin Gudmundsen taught me this song


Three little freckled frogs, sitting on a speckled log.

Eating the most delicious bugs,

yum, yum!

One jumped into the pool,

where it was nice and cool,

Now there are two freckled frogs..

(continue to count down until)

Now there are no freckled frogs.



How Much is that Doggie in the Window?

1952

How much is that doggie in the window?

The one with the waggety tail.

How much is that doggy in the window?

I wonder if he is for sale.



Has Anybody Seen My Kitty?

Has anybody seen my kitty?

Has anybody seen my cat?

He's got a knot at the of his tail,

shows that he's been fighting.

Down by Finnigan's alley, down by the railroad tracks...

Kitty, Kitty, Kitty, Kitty,

Anybody seen my cat!?



Mr. Johnny Vorbeck

CHORUS

Oh Mister, Mister Johnny Vorbeck how could you be so mean.

I told you you'd be sorry for inventing that machine.

Now all the neighbor's cats and dogs will never more be seen.

For they'll be ground to sausages in Johnny Vorbeck’s machine.


One day a little fat boy came walking in the store.

He bought a pound of sausages and laid them on the floor.

The boy began to whistle, he whistled up a tune,

and all the little sausages went dancing around the room.

(chorus)


This verse by Richard Gudmundsen

One day the machine got busted, the darn thing wouldn't work.

So Johnny Vorbeck, he climbed inside to see what made it so.

His wife, she had a nightmare, and walking in her sleep,

She gave that crank....and awful yank...and Johnny Vorbeck was meat!

(chorus)



Bill Grogan's Goat

One of Scott's Family Favorites


Bill Grogan's goat, was feeling fine,

Ate three red shirts, right off the line.

Bill took a stick, gave him a whack,

and tied him to, the railroad tracks.


The whistle blew, the train grew nigh,

Bill Grogan's goat, was doomed to die.

He gave three groans, of mortal pain,

coughed up those shirts, and flagged the train!



K..K..K..Katie

K-K-K-Katy was written by Geoffrey O'Hara and published in 1918.


K..K..K.. Katie, beautiful Katie,

You're the only g...g...g...girl that I adore.

When the m...moon shines, over the cow shed,

I'll be waiting by the k...k...k...kitchen door.



I Had a Dream, Dear

1899

I had a dream, dear, you had one too.

Mine was the best dream because it was of you.

Come sweetheart tell me, now is the time.

You tell me your dream, and I'll tell you mine.




Black, Black, Black

"Black Is the Colour (of My True Love's Hair)" is a traditional folk song first known in the Appalachian Mountains region of United States in 1915, but most probably originated from Scotland, as attributed to reference to Clyde in the original song's lyrics.


Black, black, black!

Is the color of my true love's hair.

Her lips are something wondrous fair.

The purest eyes, and the daintiest hands.

I love the grass on which she stands.


I love my love and well she knows.

I love her everywhere she goes.

If she on earth, no more I see.

My life would soon just fade away!



Oh Little Squirrel

Sung By Richard Gudmundsen in kindergarten in 1927


Oh little squirrel with shining eyes and bushy tail to round.

Why do you gather all the nuts that lie upon the ground?

I must prepare my winter’s store my harvest now I reap.

For when Jack Frost comes, and the snow falls, in my hole I’ll sleep.



High Sierra Sweetheart

By Austin Gudmundsen

He loved the High Sierra Mountains in California and wrote this song:

Click here to see the sheet music for this song


High Sierra Sweetheart with eyes like lakes of blue.

How my heart is yearning, for a sight of you.

Soon I'll be returning, to those peaks above.

High Sierra Sweetheart, my one my only love.



When It’s Twilight on the Trail

1945

I remember my Dad, Richard Gudmundsen playing his guitar as he sang this song, and also, "Tumbling Tumbleweeds"


Oh, when it’s twilight on the trail,

and I roam along,

My life is but a dream,

and the ripple of a stream is my song.


Oh, when it’s twilight on the trail,

and I rest once more,

My ceiling is the sky and the grass on which I lie is my floor.


Oh, when it’s twilight on the trail,

and my voice grows still,

Just plant this heart of mine,

underneath some lonesome pine on the hill.


Chorus

Never, ever had a nickel in my jeans.

Never, ever had a debt to pay.

Guess I’ve never know what real contentment means.

Guess I just was born that way.



Tumbling Tumbleweed

See them tumbling down
Pledging their love to the ground
Lonely but free I'll be found
Drifting along with the tumbling tumble weed

Cares of the past are behind
Nowhere to go but I'll find
Just were the trail will wind
Drifting along with the tumbling tumble weed


I know when night has gone
That a new world's born at dawn
I'll keep rolling along
Deep in my heart is a song


Here on the range I belong
Drifting along with the tumbling tumble weed
I know when night has gone
That a new world's born at dawn


I'll keep rolling along
Deep in my heart is a song
Here on the range I belong
Drifting along with the tumbling tumble weeds



All Good Dogs Say Thank-you

We loved this as kids


Adults............... All good dogs say thank-you.

Children............ Woof-woof!

Adults............... All good dogs say thank-you

Children............ Woof-woof!

Adults............... All good dogs say thank-you too

Children............ Just like little children do.

(Continue with other animals and sounds.)




First He made an Ocean

Oh, first he made an ocean, and in it put a whale.

And then He made a raccoon with a ring around its tail.

And then He made the animals; He made them one by one.

Set ‘em up against the fence to dry as soon as He was done!


Oh, Adam was the first man, Eve T’was the other.

Cain was a wicked man, because he killed his brother.

Oh, Jonah was a fisherman got swallowed by a shark.

And Noah was the last man to step into the ark.


Chorus:

A walkin’, a walkin’, awalkin’’’ through the rain.

A walkin’ through the parlor, hear the banjo playin’.

A walking through the kitchen, hear the banjo ring.

An watchin’ *Jimmy’s fingers as he picks upon the strings!

*Original word was "nigger" but of course we have changed that!



The Cherry Tree

Music by Richard A. Gudmundsen

This is his favorite poem, so he set it to music.


Oh loveliest of trees, the cherry now,

is hung with bloom along the bough.

And stands about the woodland ride,

wearing white for Easter tide.


Now of my three-score years and ten,

twenty will not come again.

And take from seventy years a score,

it only leaves me fifty more.


And fifty years is little room

in which to look at things in bloom.

So through the woodland I must go,

to see the cherry hung with snow.



I Want to be a Friend of Yours

I want to be a friend of yours,

mm hm, and a little bit more.

I want to be a pal of yours,

mm hm, and a little bit more.

I want to be a little flower

just growin' by your door.


I want to give you everything you want, mm hm, and a little bit,

hm, and a little bit,

hm, and a little bit more.


I want to buy your shoes and socks,

mm hm, and a little bit more.

I want to build you a house and lot,

mm hm, and a little bit more.

I want to raise a family with children three, or four.


I want to give you everything you want, mm hm, and a little bit,

hm, and a little bit,

hm, and a little bit more.




Cigarettes and Whiskey

(We traditionally sang the chorus really awful on purpose!)


Traditional verse:

Oh! Once I was happy and had a good wife.

Had plenty of money to last me for life.

Then I met a young gal, and we went on a spree.

She taught me to smoke and drink whiskey!


Verse written by Scott

Oh! I had a ranch on a big, spacious spread.

Cattle in number to one thousand head.

Then I met a young gal, and we went on a spree!

She taught me to smoke and drink whiskey!


Next two verses written by Joyce

So if your gal offers you whiskey or beer,

and whispers "Just try it once" into your ear.

And if cigarettes are her joy and delight,

get out of there pronto and tell her good-night!


So if you are wondering the point to my tale,

that I'm singing to you from Clark County jail,

When some wild young lassie comes smiling so sweet,

just hit the ground running and make your retreat!


CHORUS

Cigarettes and whiskey and wild, wild, women!

They'll drive you crazy, they'll drive you insane!

Cigarettes and whiskey and wild, wild, women!

They'll drive you crazy, they'll drive you insane!



Say, Boys..

Sam Devere 1885

Scott is really funny when he sings this!


Say boys I'll tell you about a gal I took to a fancy ball.

You could span around her little waist,

It was so neat and small.

I thought about two oysters,

Would fill her up complete,

But when I took her out for lunch,

Oh! this is what she eat.


A plate of slaw,

Some oysters raw,

A chicken and a roast,

And then she tried some lobsters fried,

With soft shelled crabs on toast.

Some turkey too, made in a stew,

Her appetite was immense.

When she cried for pie,

I thought I'd die,

For I had but fifty cents!


Now I'll tell you now,

This nice young gal,

She cleaned out an ice-cream can.

She said, "Dear George, I'll tell my Ma,

You’re such a nice young man."

"Next time, I'll bring the whole family along

When we go out for fun."

When I showed the man my fifty cents,

Oh this is what he done!


He broke my nose,

He tore my clothes,

He slapped me in the jaw.

He gave me a prize of two black eyes,

With me he mopped the floor.


He took me where my pants hung loose,

And fired me over a fence!

Take my advice,

Don't try it twice,

When you've got but fifty cents!



Did You Think to Pray?

Words: Mary Ann Pepper Kidder (1820-1905

Music: William O. Perkins (1831-1902)

Traditionally sung at the end of every singing session when my grandparents visited.


1 Ere you left your room this morning,

Did you think to pray?

In the name of Christ our Savior,

Did you sue for loving favor,

As a shield today?


Refrain

O how praying rests the weary!

Prayer will change the night to day;

So when life seems dark and dreary,

Don't forget to pray.


2 When your heart was filled with anger,

Did you think to pray?

Did you plead for grace, my brother,

That you might forgive another

Who had crossed your way?


Refrain


3 When sore trials came upon you,

Did you think to pray?

When your soul was full of sorrow,

Balm of Gilead did you borrow

At the gates of day?


Refrain






No comments: