Sunday, April 26, 2009

Lutitia Austin


RECOLLECTIONS OF MY GRANDMOTHER GUDMUNDSEN

By Richard A. Gudmundsen


Lutitia Austin Southwick Gudmundsen, or “Grandma Gudmundsen”, was always on our list to visit in the summers, when I was growing up in Milwaukee. At that time she and Grandpa Abe Gudmundsen lived in American Fork in a deep-red brick house about four blocks South of Main Street. To their West was the Ward House where they met on Sunday. Between the Ward House and their home was their garden which occupied about an acre. The house was on the North side of the street and to the southwest across the dirt street was more of their land where the cow was pastured. Grandpa’s jewelry shop was in a small shop facing South on Main Street some three of four blocks to the East.

Each summer I would get to sleep at the American Fork house for three or four days. Grandpa would allow me to go with him to his shop where he repaired clocks and watches, and hand-made rings. On other days I would go shopping with Grandma in the local stores. They did not have an automobile. Grandpa liked to walk, and Grandma liked to ride in her children’s vehicles.

Each year we would have a grand family reunion at Saratoga Hot Springs. All of Grandmas children and grandchildren with their families would show up with a feast of food suitable for feeding an army. We would have a long row of wooden tables with attached wooden seats which was so long that those on one end could not possibly converse with those on the other end.

In attendance I recall Aunt Mable Southwick- Roberts, and her husband Oliver Roberts, Aunt Gladys Southwick-Trane and Andy Trane along with their boys Glen, Keith, and Ralph. (I recall Ralph pulling me on a sled racing my cousin Russell Loveless pulled by Keith. Keith always won. He became a coach at the AC.) Then there was the Loveless family, P.O. Loveless and Aunt Retta Gudmundsen-Loveless and children Helen and Russell. (Helen later lived with us in Milwaukee where she met her husband -----Hildebrand.) P.O. worked in the Bingham copper mines. Uncle Stanley Gudmundsen also worked in the copper mine. He was in charge of all the big rolling equipment including the enormous shovels that grabbed 50 tons of ore at a time. His wife was Bertha West-Gudmundsen. Bertha as I remember was what mother called the “painted lady” (too much make up). Their daughter Echo was a red-headed beauty who turned the head of many a boy. (When I was about 15 I had a crush on Echo.) Also there were Uncle LeGrande Gudmundsen and his wife Genny (Genevieve). who were one of my favorites. He operated a jewelry store in Payson. Their son Stewart lives in Michigan. I only vaguely recall the youngest of my father’s sisters, Marie, who married Morris Davis. Of course there was also my father Austin, mother Myrle, and brother Stanley. (Ruth came later).

After lunch we kids were forbidden to go swimming for a half-hour after eating because of “cramps” which would certainly occur if we went in too early. This advice was rigorously put forth by Grandma Gudmundsen whose word was law.

One year Grandma and Grandpa Gudmundsen came to visit us in Milwaukee. I am not sure, but I think they came east on the train. After the visit, we all went west in our car. I recall later that Grandma confided to one of her children that Austin broke the 30 mps speed-limit all the way across the country! (We were on highway U.S. 30).

When her great grandchildren were in school at the “Y”, they frequently were invited over to her Lehi house for Sunday dinner. When my Grandpa Abe Gudmundsen died, my father bought the house for her to live in, and provided her with a monthly check to live on. My brother Stan spent a lot of hours cleaning the yard and painting on his vacation time.

One day I was visiting and was in the kitchen. I recall her in the living room knitting something. (She had severe arthritis by then.) She was talking to herself saying, “Unbend you stupid fingers! What am I going to do with you?” But she never complained to anyone else. Always had a smile for a visitor, and loved to remember old happenings with here relatives. When she was excited she would use the explicative “My Lands!” Also she would correct us kids with “Horses sweat, ladies and gents perspire!”

She was quite concerned about her relationship with Grandpa Gudmundsen, as she was sealed to Samuel Southwick. He was killed after only 5 years of marriage. She then married Abraham for “time” and lived with him for over 50 years. I recall her saying,”I hardly remember being with Sam! What will it be like when we see each other again?” I am sure that the Lord will provide the correct solution.

An expression I will never forget, is a comment sometimes used by by Grandpa Gudmundsen to describe an educated braggart. It was “He is educated beyond his intelligence!” I hope that this will never be said of me!

Love Dad 7/21/2005




No comments: