Thursday, November 5, 2009

Richard- How We Met



I have wanted to write the story of how my parents met. I talked to them recently, and I combined their comments with things I remember them saying in the past.

The story according to Richard A. Gudmundsen, my Dad:

We were going to church in a room under a bowling alley. It was quite noisy at times."

I met Bernice at Mutual. Brother Childs introduced us. I was attracted to her. She was a very beautiful woman. I asked her on dates. We played tennis. We would go to my house (I was living with my parents at the time) and listen to classical records. We used to lay on the floor and listen to them. I played my guitar and sang for her. One song I remember singing was Bing Crosby's song, "Sunday, Monday Or Always."


Sunday, Monday or Tuesday
Wednesday, Thursday or Friday
I want you near
Every day in the year

No need to tell me now
What makes the world go 'round
When at the sight of you
My heart begins to pound and pound

Always and forever I must be with you
Beginning Sunday and Monday and then forever


What am I to do
I want to be with you,
Sunday, Monday and always

--------------------------------------------

The story according to Bernice Sayre, my Mom:

"I was looking for him. I was praying to meet him. I wanted someone intelligent. I had set a goal to date each of the young men in the ward, but I didn't really think I would find him in the ward. Then he moved in across the street. He was back from the war.

On Fast Sunday, I had stayed home from church with a cold. My mother came home from church and reported that a young man had borne his testimony in church. She thought I would like him. I was skeptical about someone my Mom would recommend for me.

But we met and began dating. We sometimes went 8 or 10 blocks to get a malt. He explained how his camera worked,and I tried to act like I understood what he was saying. I loved him, but I thought he probably had a girlfriend at college. I was surprised when he proposed after just a few weeks! He said, "I love you, and you have told me that you love me. What do you think we should do about it?" I just said, "I don't know." So then he asked me if I would marry him. I said yes."

Note by Joyce:
They waited until my Dad earned his BE in Engineering in 1947. That summer, my parents were married in the St. George temple.

No comments: