Sunday, June 7, 2009

Samuel Isaac


MEMOIRS

of

SAMUEL ISAAC GOODWIN

20 Mar 1869 - 23 Aug 1963


Edited by Scott Gudmundsen


Samuel Isaac Goodwin, the son of Edwin Abijah Goodwin[1] and Anna Harwood, was born March 20, 1869 at Lehi, Utah County, being a descendant of Ozias Goodwin and Mary Woodward, of Braintree, Essex, England.


My mother, Anna Harwood was a daughter of Samuel Harwood and Mary Watson of Cranmouth, Norfolk, England. Anna Harwood died November 4, 1871 when I was about three years old, and I was taken charge of by my grandfather Isaac Goodwin and his second wife, Mary Cox, whom he married in California. She (Mary Cox) was the daughter of Abraham Cox and Frances Heanty of New Haven, Sussex, England., having crossed the plains with the early pioneers, landing in California with the Charles E. Rich Company. Mary Cox Goodwin died childless, December 13th, 1898, age 59 and was buried at Lehi, Utah.


My grandfather Isaac Goodwin was born at New Haven, Connecticut on June 18, 1810. He married Laura Hotchkiss, daughter of Benjamin Hotchkiss and Elizabeth Tyrrell. Elizabeth was born January 25, 1786 and died April 14, 1818. We know but little of Benjamin Hotchkiss, nothing of his birth or death or parentage. Laura and Isaac were married February 2, 1833 and were converted to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints by two “Mormon” missionaries, Elders Elisha Heldebrand Davis[2] and Elizur G. Tyrrell, the first named being from Lehi, Utah.


My grandparents Isaac Goodwin ad Laura Hotchkiss set sail from New York Harbor February 4, 1846 with their seven children on the good ship “Brooklyn[3]under the leadership of Samuel Brannan[4]. They were bound for California via Cape Horn. In the group were 239 passengers, all but four being members of the Mormon Church. Ten persons died en-route, six children and four adults. All were buried at sea, except my grandmother, Laura Hotchkiss, who was buried on Goat Island, one of the Juan Fernandez group. She had been thrown against a companionway during a severe storm after rounding Cape Horn, causing premature confinement.




Laura lived until the ship docked at Juan Fernandez, but died there and was buried May 6, 1846. These islands (the Robinson Crusoe islands) were made famous by Daniel Defoe, a famous British novelist and essayist. My grandfather and his seven small children continued the sorrowful trip and finally landed at the port of Yerba Buena, California, on July 31, 1846 after six fearful months at sea.


They lived in California for a number of years in various places. My grandfather was present when gold was discovered at Sutter’s Mill, but later settled at San Bernardino where they lived for about ten years. They had a nice home and farm with a choice garden and orchard supplying the family with a good living. Hunting and fishing were the chief hobbies of the male members, with carding, spinning, and weaving being favored by the women.


While out hunting one day, my grandfather almost lost his life, when the breech of his gun exploded and badly injured his head and one of his eyes. It became necessary to use blood suckers on the wound to prevent gangrene [from] setting in, and he was confined to his bed for a long period of time.


Grandfather Isaac was adept in horticulture, being one of the first to introduce alfalfa to Utah[5]. He served as Mayor of Lehi for three terms. I have never seen a picture of my grandmother Laura Hotchkiss, the nearest thing being a lock of her hair which was given to me by my Aunt Nancy Evans, which I prize very much.


After the death of my mother Anna Harwood, I went to live with my grandfather and his wife Mary Cox. They took care of me and treated me as a son. Grandfather filled a short term mission to the Eastern States in search of family genealogy, and left me in the care of my grandmother when I was but three years of age. I am told that I locked her out of the house one day and was punished for so doing.


Among other things, Grandfather kept several hives of bees, and hired Henry Norton, who lived in Tickville to care for them, dividing the hives and extracting the honey. One day when I was about six years old, Norton suggested to my Grandfather that he drive over to Tickville and that he and his boys would load our wagon with nice, dry, cedar wood. I begged to go with Grandfather and he said, “All right, Sammy. If you will promise to be a good boy , you may go with me tomorrow.” I was jubilant with the prospect of the trip. That night I had a vision or dream about the trip, and saw the place in detail, telling Grandfather about it the next day. I also told him I could direct the way, and that I knew what it looked like before we ever arrived. When we got there, the log house and surroundings were just as I had seen them in my dream, in fact the house was exactly as I had seen it, with a door in the center of the house and windows on each side, but when we came closer I saw what I thought was a window on the right side, proved to be a large iron bread-pan the same size as a window.


We were delayed in starting for home, as in turning the wagon around in a small canyon, the breach was broken and took so much time to repair that it was near sundown before we started for home, and darkness came on soon after we were out of the canyon, with no moon to guide us. As we were traveling along in the dark, the horses stopped suddenly and we discovered that we were on the brink of a deep wash, the wagon being off the road; we got it back on the road again and Grandfather said, “We’ll let the horses pick the road after this, and put our trust in the Lord for them to take us home safely”, which He did to a much worried wife and grandmother.

This sounds like two miracles to me.


My grandfather used to take me with him when he went peddling grapes and other fruits which he raised in our wonderful orchard, driving over to Sandy, where the smelter was located. He gave credit to several people who didn’t value their word of honor, for when they saw him coming to collect his money, they hid themselves. On this particular day, when going down a steep grade at the Point of the Mountain, Grandfather was driving with loose lines as usual. I asked him just what he would do if the horses started to run away. He said, “Sammy, I would just slam on the brake and holler `Whoa!’ “. The team stopped suddenly upon hearing the word “Whoa” and I would have pitched out of the wagon if he had not caught me.



Grandfather had a pasture in the lower part of Lehi about a mile from our home. It was my job to drive the stock to the pasture every morning, bringing them back each evening. This pasture was located on the south side of the “Old Fort Wall.” Our family home was located on the north side of the southeast corner of the block when they came from California in 1859. In those days, it was customary with our neighbors to take their stock at the same time each day, as the forage was short, and we fellows liked to drive our stock in a group. Most of the fences on each side of the street were made of poles, and on this particular day we were going down to get our cows, and in going past Andrew Peterson’s[6] corral, their cows had come home, and were standing in the street waiting patiently to be let in the corral. The calf of one of the cows started calling for its’ mother, and we all started mocking it to anger the mother. I was next to the fence, and she suddenly chose me for the target, and lowering her head she charged me before I had time to run. My only escape was an opening about six inches wide in the fence, under which I ducked in double-quick time to escape being punctured with a deadly pair of horns. I don’t think I touched anything as I went through and the fellows all had a good laugh at my expense. My guardian angel must have been there at the time.


Our old home at Lehi was located near a dry creek which overflowed every spring, which floods in early years had built up an embankment by washing down the soil and gravel. We had quite a hill on which we coasted down in the winter, which hill was a rendezvous for skunks, porcupines, badgers, gophers, weasels, etc. of which there were many. In our home we had a basement which was entered by a stairway from off the porch. One night a skunk got an idea and dug a hole under the steps and decided to make it his home. Grandfather had a different idea, as he had had considerable experience and knew how to handle the heavily perfumed rodents, so he walked down the steps, put his hand under the stairway and took Mr. Skunk by the tail and carried him out into the street where he shot him with his revolver, thus eliminating any odor. Moral: Keep their tails down!


We had a large barn built of logs back of which was a pasture where we turned our animals out to graze during the summer months. Part of the barn was used as a stable where we kept the cow and horses, and the other part being used for hay. The south side of the barn had sliding doors through which a load of hay could be driven, the horses unhitched, the harness hung up and the team turned loose through a smaller door at the back end. There was a hill at the back with a slanting path which led down into the pasture. I had been warned not to ride the horses, but I thought this day I would give a demonstration of my skill as a rider. Being alone, I climbed on the back of the most gentle of the two horses, having a rope on each horse and said “giddap” and started on my journey. The horse that I was leading started to crowd my steed and I reached over and gave him a whack and they both jumped at the same time. I fell over backwards and lit on my head. It stunned me so that I hardly knew what I was doing. I walked back up the hill and closed the door to the barn and when I really came to my senses I was sitting down against the hay crying. I opened the door and both horses came charging up the hill, gave me the once over, then raced back again to their play. Moral: don’t try this again... ever!



My Grandfather used to tell me about a horse that he had when he lived in California which he called by the name of “Sino”, a Spanish name, that he trained to hunt geese and other fowl. He said the horse would walk along slowly beside him, like he was eating grass, until Grandfather was within range of the covey, and that the report of the gun did not disturb the horse at all.



My Grandfather died when I was ten years old, on April 25, 1879 at the age of 69 years, at Lehi, Utah, where he is buried. He was a true Latter-Day Saint and a wonderful progenitor. After his death, my Grandmother Mary Cox Goodwin took over and with the council and advice of William Bone, a near and dear neighbor, they managed to keep me within bounds, and I realized now what a trial it must have been. My brothers and sister never seemed like we were of the same family, after being separated from each other and living in different homes. I was the most fortunate being with my Grandfather Goodwin, and the others being placed among strangers. I realized more and more each day how fortunate I was. I lived with Grandmother May Cox Goodwin until after I was married.



Bishop Thomas R. Cutler, who married my cousin Laura Elizabeth Coons, another waif of the Goodwin family, did considerable in furnishing me employment of odd jobs, until I was regularly employed by Peoples Co-operative Institution[7], of which Mr. Cutler was manager. My Grandfather Goodwin was an officer and a stockholder in early days. I became the manager of this same Institution on December 20, 1902, and continued as manager for 24 years, until April 6, 1926 when the Cutler interests (sons) fired me. Thomas R. Cutler[8] had passed away previously on April 3, 1925. He had been one of the moving characters that set in motion the organization of the Utah Sugar Company, and became the first manager. Lehi City Council offered them a bounty of $6,000 to the builders who decided that the Lehi offer was the most attractive, and selected that city as the site of the first sugar factory in the west.



The Cutler family, during the summer, were fond of going up American Fork Canyon and camping overnight. I was usually invited to go with them to drive one of the vehicles loaded with the camping outfit and the necessary food, also a number of the younger friends for company, and invariably Cousin Laura. I used to tease her be calling her “Ma”. She would ask me to bring a horsehair rope which Grandfather Goodwin had made, to keep snakes from crawling into the camp, as it was the theory that snakes would not crawl over a horsehair rope, as they were afraid of it. Since the canyon was noted for its rattlers, we always took this precaution, and Cousin Laura always used the rope.



Mr. Cutler loved sports and when business would permit, he would ask my father to go with him to shoot rabbits, which were numerous on “the bench”, a wide open space, covered with sage brush of great density. There was plenty of room to separate each hunter from each other to allow sufficient space in handling their firearms. Mr. Cutler had a double barrel shotgun, which used shells, the other hunters used double and singe barrel muzzle loaders, having to use a powder horn hung over the shoulder, made of a cows’ horn. The shot and other ammunition were carried in a bag, making the shooting less handy than the gun with the shells, and longer between shots, which was a handicap. Mr. Cutler had a jolly time, but his aim was not too accurate, yet he had a lot of fun although he rarely succeeded in bringing home the quarry. He owned an old double barrel shotgun, a muzzle loader, which was my greatest ambition to own. After teasing my Grandmother silly, she bought it for me, my very own!



The first time I went hunting, my brother Bert went along with me to carry the game, and the very first rabbit we saw, I took aim and killed it, and believe it or not we were both tickled pink over it. I used this gun a number of years, and did my best to keep it clean and in good working order, as it was the apple of my eye. I increased in accuracy as the time went on.


One day I went hunting with my cousin, Martin Bushman[9], hunting along the Jordan River, but we had no luck and being tired and ready to rest, we came to a place where the Salt Lake and Western railroad crossed the Jordan River, and Mart said he was going to try and kick out a rabbit on a sage brush covered knoll nearby. I said, “All right, I wish you luck, and I’ll watch you from here.” While watching him, I let the butt end of my gun down on the ties and in doing so it slipped off on both hammers that were resting on the percussion caps, and the good Lord only knows what kept them from blowing my bowels and insides all over the place. I felt like an ice pack was in my bowels, and I sat down on the rails to overcome by terror. Another miracle, believe it or not!



Not long after this occasion, as I remember a son of George Beck was hunting about the same place, and his gun slipped off the ties and blew his head off... a real tragic event.

Another time, Mart and I were hunting ducks along the Jordan River around the mouth where it flows out of Utah Lake in the area where John C. Nail[10] owned a homestead and a hot mineral spring (later known as Saratoga Hot Springs). Several ducks were flying around, and we decided to sit down on a grass covered slope to watch for them. I was slightly in front of Mart when a flock of ducks flew by and we both raised up at the same time and fired at them. His gun was so close to my head that the explosion nearly blew my head off, and I was deaf for several minutes. This was another time that my guardian angel was present ... another miracle, believe it or not!



Uncle Martin Bushman[11] owned a few acres of meadow in the New Survey not far from the river on which was a crop of hay that he sent Mart and Jim, two of his sons, to haul up to his home, and I was invited to go along. Mart was going to take his shotgun along, and of course this was the magnet that decided me to go with them. While they were loading hay, mart asked me if I would like to take his gun and see if I could scare up a rabbit in the sweet clover near by. Of course I was delighted, and in going through the clover, I stumbled over something, and I looked down just as I was met head on by a skunk, which soaked me to the skin with his breathtaking odor. Of course, I gave him what I had to offer, being a charge from my gun. They made me ride on the back end of the load of hay, as far away from them as possible, and when I got home, Grandmother threw up her hands in horror and made me strip off all my clothes and bury them until the smell subsided. Another tragic skunk story. Seems like I can still smell it. Since that episode, I have declared war on all skunks, and I set traps all around the hill at home and allowed no quarter.



My Grandfather Samuel Harwood (b. 21 Mar 1804, d. 27 Mar 1892, Lehi) was a great hunter and nimrod and liked all kinds of firearms, so his progeny can’t be blamed for liking guns and firearms too. He drove a pair of oxen and never used horses. He was successful in training one of his oxen to hunt with him, and brought home many geese, ducks, and all kinds of small game. On the last trip for geese, the ox had been previously trained to walk along quietly with Grandfather Harwood at his side, the ox with his head down as if he was feeding, and Grandfather urging him along with a light poke of his gun barrel to guide him in the direction of the quarry. The ox on this occasion was inclined to be a little unruly, irritating the old gentleman, and he gave the ox an extra jab with the gun barrel and it went off, killing the animal, which was a cause for much merriment among the neighbors.



My Grandfather’s son, James Harwood was in the harness and saddle business, and was also the postmaster at Lehi, Utah, The post office being in another room, over which his daughter, Lillian had charge, as he and I being about the same age. The show room was where the harness and saddles were on display, the work of manufacturing being done in a room at the rear. The harnesses were hung from the ceiling in order of the price and in neat array.



The older daughter of James Harwood married a farmer named George H. Smith, who was a wonderful fellow. He and I would “wrassle”around in the shop nearly every time he came to town, even though he was a number of years my senior. I was an apprentice, having been bound out to him by my Grandmother Mary Cox Goodwin, the term being for two years, the first year for $50.00 and the second year for $75.00. The old man frowned upon our playfulness and would exclaim, “Boyism, boyism!”. But Smith, being his son-in-law, he had to put up with his nonsense.



My father would go to a ranch in Nevada each summer in Ruby Valley[12], Nevada to replenish their capital. Smith and I had a lasting friendship for each other and it looked very much at one time that my father and his (Smith’s) sister, Sara, would mate up, but the fact that they didn’t has always been a mystery, but fate must have willed it otherwise. Sara was a choice and lovely lady.



Among the other duties I had was to carry the mail every working day in the afternoon to the depot of the Salt Lake and Southern Railroad, which was a mile distant from the post office, and I would ride back with Hans Hammer[13], who owned a livery stable and had the contract to carry the mail between these two points, using a one horse light wagon. Hammer charged me five cents for each one way trip, and when he presented his bill to Harwood, I was told in no uncertain terms that I was to walk both ways, and he never gave me more than ten minutes. I was compelled to run sometimes, as he had been told by his son James T. Harwood[14] that he could easily walk it in that time. His dad was a money squeezer for sure. One reason I say this was when he asked me to join him in subscribing for a magazine, which I did, and the arrangement was that he and his family were to read it first, and then pass it on to me. He said I was lazy, which probably was true, as I frequently sat on the steps and listened to “Joe Butcher”, which was a nickname of Joseph Dorton[15] who handled meat, along with a general supply of merchandise.



Dorton had a pal about the same age, one James Q. Powell[16], a sheep and cattle raiser, and the two were great chums. They would meet almost every day and discuss the news, and with other things, their family heritage and would pretend to quarrel about it by cuffing each other, then laughing about it. When Dorton was a young man, he was rather wild and disorderly and liked his “licker” and once got into an altercation with a soldier from Camp Floyd, where Johnson’s Army was located , and both being drunk, Dorton’s ankle was broken in the struggle. It was never set properly and he became badly crippled.



Mr. Dorton had me look after his books, while his son Joe attended school at the Brigham Young University in Provo, Utah. When he looked them over, he said that I had put the charges on the wrong side of the ledger. His father could neither read nor write, and made drawings of the items charged so that he could remember the transaction. One day, Gus Powell, a son of James Q. came to settle his account, and among the items charged was a cheese, being a round circle, and Powell said, “Hell! I never bought a whole cheese in my life!” Dorton laughed and after a moment said, “Did you ever buy a grind stone?” Powell answered, “Yes, I did.” Dorton said, “I forgot to put a hole in it!” The people standing around let out a yell of laughter that could be heard a block away.



Dorton’s business was located on Main Street where the farmers and loafers used to gather on Sundays and holidays. They drank and played their card games there and as the policing was not too strict, sometimes things got quite rough and they would challenge each other to a fist fight. Then they got to telling their tall tales. One story I remember distinctly was a test between the Marshall, Joe Thomas, a big, husky, who boasted about his good eye sight, and the other man, Ambrose Loveridge. They were both facing Mt. Timpanogos, which is an Indian name meaning, “The Sleeping Princess” and which rises 12,000 feet above sea level and which is located about eight miles from Lehi. Thomas said to Ambrose, “Can you see that horsefly walking around?”, pointing to a granite ledge on top of Timpanogos. Ambrose looked intently, squinting his eyes and said, “No, I can’t see him, but I can hear him walking around.”



Another story is about Alexander Loveridge, father of `Broze. It was told to me by his son Don Loveridge, my brother-in-law, that when his dad would get up in the morning, the first thing he put on was his hat, which he wore continually. This same `Broze Loveridge and his family moved to Idaho, near Idaho Falls on the Snake River. Among a group of friends gathered near the river one day, he made a wager that he could swim across the river and back with his boots and clothes on, the wager being a twenty-five cent sack of Bull Durham tobacco. He made it across the river all right and started to return, but was drowned before he could be rescued. The current was very swift.



`Broze was a great hunter, usually bringing home the game. He liked to tell the following story about hunting ducks, when he ran out of ammunition. He disturbed a flock of 100 ducks and since he was out of ammunition, he hurriedly rammed some wadding down the barrel, tamped it good, and left his ramrod, which was made out of steel, sticking out of the barrel when it fired, threading 99 ducks on the ramrod. One of his listeners asked why he didn’t say [that he had threaded] 100. He replied, “Heck. I wouldn’t tell a damned lie for one duck!”



Referring to my Uncle James Harwood again, his son James T. went swimming in Jordan River with some boys about the same age. Among the number was his cousin, Sam Taylor[17], who dared the boys to dive off the River Bridge[18], which they did, and Harwood nearly drowned and probably would have had it not been for the timely assistance of Sam Taylor. When this news reached Harwood’s father, Taylor was rewarded with a pair of spurs.



Peoples Co-op put up ice every winter when it was available, having it hauled up from Utah Lake, and as I was working for the Co-op, it usually fell my lot to go with Sam Taylor who was driving a team for the Co-op. We could saw blocks of ice of a regular size over an area of five miles, and at this particular time, we had sawed a large hole shaped like the State of Utah, and as we were about loaded, the wind blew several pieces of ice over to the south side, and I suggested that I go around and push them back with his saw, then Taylor was to pull them out with the ice tongs. This I was doing, when I stepped back onto a thin piece of ice. It cracked and as I felt myself going down, I dropped my saw on some bushes before falling into the lake with a splash. The icy water took my breath and I went to the bottom. I had read of people slipping under the ice, and as I struggled to get out, the saw slid off the bushes into the water. I heard Taylor say, “Grab the saw!”, but I said to him, “To hell with the saw!” I was soaked to the skin, the only dry thing being my hat which fell off as I took the plunge. We finally completed loading up and started for home five miles away and me with my clothes frozen stiff. My grandmother greeted me with a complete change of clothing... Another episode in my life’s history with a motto, “Keep off the ice when it is thin!”


As Thanksgiving is here again, I am reminded that 64 years ago today, on November 25, 1891, Olena Anderson and I were married in the Manti Temple, traveling via the Denver and Rio Grande Railroad, and on our way back we met Olena’s ever-faithful pal, Kate Woodhouse who was on the train going home from teaching school. As we were chatting and looking forward to our wedding reception, the conductor came through and said, “Change cars for all points east”, and we got off at the depot with our baggage. As soon as the train started moving, the conductor called “All aboard!” and I asked him when our train would be in. He asked where we were going, I replied, “Lehi”, and he said, “This is your train!” We yelled, “Stop the train!”, and started running toward it, with our bags. Kate Woodhouse[19] fell down and stopped to gather up her belongings that fell out of her suitcase as it came open. The conductor saw our predicament and held the train until we got aboard. John Henry Smith, who was watching us, remarked that we ought not to run like that, but we were scared with the thought of having to wait until the next day. This was a most embarrassing moment, and I think of it often.



“Special Historical Entry”: Church history informs me that the site for the Manti Temple was dedicated by the Angel Moroni, that the ground was broken for its’ erection on April 25, 1877 by President Brigham Young, who stated that the Angel Moroni had dedicated this very spot for the erection of a temple, and on this site it would be built. The Manti Temple was completed on May 21, 1888, and dedicated by President Lorenzo Snow, its’ approximate cost being one million dollars.



On January 20, 1901, the Utah Stake was divided into two parts, the northern part was given the name of Alpine Stake. The southern part was called Timpanogos Stake, named after the 12,000 foot mountain by that name, which divided the two Stakes. Stephen L. Chipman was selected as President of Alpine Stake, with James H. Clark as first counselor, both men being from American Fork. Abel John Evans of Lehi was selected as Second counselor, with Eli J. Clayson of American Fork as Stake Clerk.


I was ordained a High Priest by James H. Clarke and was set apart as an alternate member of the High Council on January 20, 1901. On July 28, 1907 I was set apart as a regular member of the High Council by Apostle Hyrum M. Smith.



On July 1, 1917 I was ordained a Bishop by Apostle James E. Talmage, and was set apart to preside over the Lehi Second Ward, with Robert John Whipple as first counselor, and Heber Charles Webb as second counselor. James Falconer Fyffe was Ward Clerk. I was released as Bishop of Lehi Second Ward Sunday evening December 12, 1937 after serving 20 years, 5 months and twelve days.


I was set apart as a High Councilor of the Lehi Stake by Apostle Charles A. Callis, Sunday, January 23, 1938 and after serving eight years a senior member of the High Council, I was released on August 4, 1946 on account of moving to California.



During my management of the Peoples Co-operative Institution in Lehi, I was elected as one of the directors of the State Bank of Lehi, James Chipman of American Fork was President; James H. Gardner of Lehi was Vice President; Washburn Chipman was cashier and manager. Stephen L. Chipman of American Fork was assistant manager. John F. Bradshaw of Lehi was also a director. The year of 1933 was a strenuous one and our connection with the Bank of American Fork brought financial disaster to the State Bank of Lehi, as the Bank of American Fork had made loans to their sheep men far in excess of their ability to pay, and the school district’s deposit with the Bank of American Fork got our own Lehi bank so entangled with them, and through the fraudulent schemes of a crooked State Bank Examiner, we were forced to close both banks until we made arrangements with the government to increase the capital of State Bank of Lehi to $50,000 , and to borrow from the Government Finance Corp. a sum equal to the indebtedness of our stock holders, the money to be carried as a loan and to be paid at our convenience. The closing of our banks caused hardship to many, especially to the sheep men, as the value of sheep declined about one half, which forced them to dispose of their flocks at great loss.



During these tribulations, I became one of the official directors and advisors to pass on the persons to whom we made loans. President Stephen L. Chipman was called as one of the Salt Lake Temple directors to assist President Richards in directing work of the temple. He moved to Salt Lake and suggested that I should be president of the State bank of Lehi, to which James H. Gardner protested, as he was the vice president. The other directors were John F. Bradshaw, Henry Lewis and E. L. Chipman. Gardner had mortgaged some land that he owned, including a spring over the Jordan River. Salt Lake County had driven large wells along the Jordan River which drained this spring which Gardner owned. Salt Lake County was sued for damage and they closed the large wells and Gardner’s spring began to flow again. Mr. Bradshaw knew of this trouble and tried to gain possession of the property, but Cashier Chipman interfered and blocked this attempt.



After leaving Peoples Co-op as manager, I went to Salt Lake City to have a talk with Mr. John F. Bennett, of Bennett Glass and Paint Company. He was also the managing director of Z.C.M.I. and he gave instructions to allow me a standing credit necessary for opening my own business, Goodwin’s Golden Rule which was located in Lehi on lower Main Street, as I had purchased Azer Racker’s stock of merchandise.


I later bought the fixtures from Rose Racer, the widow of William E. Racker, and at the suggestion of Washburn Chipman, we moved our business from the Racker building to the bank building, next to State Bank of Lehi where we did business as Goodwin’s Golden Rule, forming a partnership on February 19, 1945.



There were business hazards while we occupied the Racker building, one of which was a burglary which loss amounted to over $200, but the thief who was living near Tooele, Utah made a serious and valuable (to me) mistake, as he took my gold watch which had been given to me by the employees of Peoples Co-op for a Christmas present on Dec. 25, 1911. The culprit was picked up with the watch in his possession, and I reclaimed it, having it in my possession at this time. Sixty dollars of the loss was from funds belonging to the Second Ward tithing, which I made good. There were other items of clothing, shoes, etc.



After our removal to the building east of State Bank of Lehi, we had still another burglary. This time the burglar took a rack full of clothing that had arrived a few days before, also other things, but the officers failed in alertness and we never recovered the merchandise which amounted to about $150.00. When George Durnell was Sheriff of Utah County we had a full-sized burglary, as the thieves drove their truck up to the back door and loaded up over $2000 worth of merchandise according to the description in the daily paper which Mr. Durnell gave them as it happened in his county. Decker Patrick and Company learned of our loss and Will Patrick called me and wanted to know what their company could do to help out as he knew we would be short of merchandise, which we were. He said, “Go ahead Brother Goodwin, stock up, as the sky is the limit.”



A young man by the name of Chick Olsen who was living in Lehi at the time, and who was an officer of Salt Lake County, heard about the robbery and came down to see me, and in checking tire marks in the soft ground, said that he knew this particular truck involved, and would have the owners of it in jail before sun down. I thanked him and wished him success. Mr. Olsen and others were successful and located the merchandise where it was hidden, but Mr. Durnell insisted that they let it remain there, and set up a watch over the loot, which they did, but failed to locate the guilty parties. Durnell insisted on taking the balance o the goods back to Provo, as he said that he would be able to pick up the thieves within a reasonable length of time. We took the matter up with an attorney, and they agreed to keep only about $50 in value for 30 days. Finally I hired William Asher as my attorney to have the balance of the goods turned over to me. On account of the long delay, the women’s apparel was out of date and the rest of the goods were of little value. I surely had a dislike for George Durnell.


Some years later I met his son Ray Durnell at the Sawtelle Veterans Hospital in California where he was confined on account of his loss of memory. This had come about during World War II, and I felt very sorry for Ray Durnell. May the Lord be merciful to him and his dear wife and their family, as the good Lord only knows the reason for their tribulations. Ray is now in Utah at the hospital there. The whereabouts of his wife is unknown to me.



Upon leaving Utah to make our home in California, we sold our family home in Lehi, to LeRoy Gammon, and I, together with my wife, Olena, and our three daughters, Thelma, Arleen and LaPriel moved to Inglewood, California, where we are still residing at 1135 Truro Avenue as of this date, February 1956.



On November 22, 1950 my dearly beloved wife, Olena passed to the Golden Strand and was buried at Lehi, Utah on November 28, 1950 in the family plot in the Lehi City Cemetery.



“DREAMS”- This is one I had on Thursday, March 3, 1955.

The scriptures in the Acts of the Apostles, chapter 11, verse 17 says “Your old men shall dream dreams.”

Last night in my dreams, I heard a voice saying “The Heavens never sent to Earth a finer, sweeter gift than when they sent the sweet spirit of Olena.” And deep in my heart I answered and said, “Yes, and I can vouch for this.” - This actually happened Thursday, March 3, 1955.


(signed) Samuel I. Goodwin


---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[1]see also Wiggins, Marvin E. Mormons and Their Neighbors-- Goodwin, Edwin Abiah 30 Nov 1839 -Our Pioneer Heritage compiled by Kate B. Carter. [Salt Lake City: Daughters of Utah Pioneers, 1958.] @ v.3, p.546 Photo v.3, p.546


[2]see also Wiggins, Marvin E. Mormons and Their Neighbors Davis, Elisha Hildebrand 1850 - 1937 -- -- Guide To Mormon Diaries & Autobiographies by Davis Bitton. [Provo, Utah: Brigham Young University Press, c1977.] p.85. Also --Davis, Elisha Hildebrand 22 Oct 1815 -

History of Lehi by Hamilton Gardner. [Salt Lake City: Deseret News, 1913.]p.356 Also--Andrew Jenson, Church Chronology, July 31, 1898 (Sunday)

“Elisha Hildebrand Davis, a prominent Elder and Church veteran, died at Lehi, Utah Co.”


[3]Of the 230 who sailed, all but 12 were Latter-day Saints. There were 70 men, 60 women, and 100 children. Adults paid $75 and children $37.50. They brought books, a printing press, guns, 800 pounds of paying freight bound for the Sandwich Islands, and enough agricultural and mechanical tools to equip 800 laborers. All of the people and cargo were crammed onto the ship Brooklyn, which Brannan had leased at the inexpensive rate of $1200 per month plus expenses. An average-size ship for its day, Brooklyn was 125 feet long and 28 feet across the beam and weighed about 445 tons.

Brooklyn sailed from New York harbor on February 4, 1846. Four days out, the ship encountered a severe gale that its experienced captain, Abel Richardson, pronounced the worst he had ever seen. Surviving the storm with the loss of only two cows, they proceeded south through the Atlantic toward Cape Horn. After three weeks, the ship passed near the Cape Verde Islands, off the African coast. Given the winds and currents, this was the most efficient route to California. When passing the equator, they were becalmed for three days. Boredom soon gave way to apprehension as they approached the dreaded Cape Horn. Captain Richardson avoided difficulty by bearing directly south several miles in order to gain longitude west. The ship was soon sailing north along the coast of Chile.

The Brooklyn Saints had now been three months at sea and provisions had become scarce. A severe storm prevented a landing at Valparaiso, but on May 4 they landed at Juan Fernández Island. After five days of rest and replenishing, they set sail for the Sandwich Islands (Hawaiian Islands), arriving at Honolulu harbor on June 20, 1846. Here they learned that the United States was warring with Mexico and would likely seize California. Brooklyn left Hawaii on June 30 and sailed into Yerba Buena (now San Francisco) on July 31, where the U.S. flag flew over California. Their valorous voyage now complete, most of the Saints found work. Many helped build up the frontier village of Yerba Buena, while about 12 families founded the short-lived agricultural community of New Hope (1846-1848). Most, including Brannan, stayed in California, but some eventually moved to Utah.

The voyage of Brooklyn was both typical and eventful. The voyagers endured two severe storms, one in each ocean. Regular religious services were held, and, in general, the behavior of the Saints was laudable. There were two births; the infants were named, respectively, Atlantic and Pacific, after the oceans where they first saw life. Sadly, there were also twelve deaths: ten passengers and one crewman died at sea, and one small infant died of sickness at the Sandwich Islands. --Historical Atlas of Mormonism p.78


[4]" The "Deseret News," at the time of Samuel Brannan's death, wrote the following, editorially: "Sam Brannan, the California pioneer, is dead. . . . He breathed his last . . . having suffered agonies for two weeks from inflammation of the bowels. His name and career are familiar to the people of Utah. He was once a 'Mormon' and obtained some prominence in early times, as he took a company by water from New York to San Francisco, and wanted our people to settle on the coast. His course and habits were not consistent with the life of a Latter-day Saint, and he was disconnected with the Church and plunged into the speculations and excitements of pioneer Californian experience. He was at one time quite wealthy, but finally drifted into poverty. He hoped to recuperate by the sale of land which he acquired by a Mexican grant in Sonora, but never realized his expectations. He had some redeeming qualities, and it is to be hoped that these will outweigh the faults which were manifested in his adventurous and eventful life. Poor Sam! will be the general expression over the news of his departure to another sphere."


[5]See History of Lehi, pages 153-154.


[6]Andrew Jenson, Church Chronology, December 30, 1911 (Saturday)

Andrew A. Peterson, a Utah pioneer of 1852, died at Lehi, Utah Co., Utah.


[7]The Lehi Centennial History presents the story: In anticipation of the arrival of the railway and its resulting value to adjacent real estate and business, Thomas R. Cutler had, in [p.180] 1871, a year previous to the coming of the railroad, commenced a mercantile business in a little adobe building, fourteen by twenty feet, built by William W. Taylor on the southeast corner of Second East and State Streets. Cutler conducted the business alone during the first year, but the advent of the Utah Southern made additional help necessary. Accordingly he employed William Hutchings, who assumed charge of a meat market.

James W. Taylor, on April 4, 1872, secured the first license for the store from the City Council. The same year, on December 21, the company incorporated under the name of People's Co-operative Institution, with a capital stock of $28,000, divided into 700 shares of a par value of $40.00. James W. Taylor was elected president, Isaac Goodwin, vice-president; Thomas R. Cutler, secretary-treasurer, and Samuel Briggs, William Bone, Sr., and Jesse Smith, directors. In addition to the ordinary mercantile business, the People's Co-op, as it has since been called, engaged, conjointly with Ira D. Wines, in the forwarding business, as long as Lehi remained the terminal point of the Utah Southern. The company also purchased the agency of Bain wagons and farm machinery from Howard Sebree, and operated a lumber yard. For a time it also acted as the shipping agent for the Copperopolis smelter in Mammoth, sending the ore from that plant to Boston. The shoe shop, under the direction of Edward Southwick, made an excellent grade of boots, shoes and women's shoes, most of which were sold to the Zion's Cooperative Institution in Salt Lake. Peter Loutensock had charge of the furniture department.

Thomas R. Cutler continued as manager of the company until April 29, 1893, when he resigned to assume control of the affairs of the Utah Sugar Company. William E. Racker, who had acted as assistant manager for some time, was selected as his successor. Under Racker's direction, prosperity continued to attend the enterprise, so much so that in 1899 the capital stock was increased to $100,000, of which $60,000 was paid up. February 3, 1903, Manager Racker accepted a call for a mission to Denmark, and his duties fell upon Samuel I. Goodwin, who has since successfully directed the affairs of the company. From time to time the corporation has added to its stock and premises until today (1950) the People's Co-operative Institution is as modern, efficient and successful a mercantile plant as can be found in the whole state.--Our Pioneer Heritage, Vol. 12, p.180

[8]Cutler, Thomas R. , Bishop of the Lehi Ward, Utah County, Utah, from 1879 to 1903, was born June 2, 1844, in Sheffield, England, a son of Thomas Cutler and Elizabeth Robinson. He arrived in Utah in 1864, and became a prominent and successful business man and ecclesiastical leader. He died April 3, 1922, at Long Beach, Calif.--LDS Biographical Encyclopedia, Andrew Jenson, Vol. 4, p.505


[9]In 1857 the Goodwins started the journey to Utah where they spent the winter of 1857–58 in St. George. Early in 1859 they arrived in Lehi where they established a permanent home. It was here that Lucinda met Martin Bushman, a native of Lancaster, Pennsylvania, and after one year of courtship the young couple were married March 21, 1863 in Salt Lake City by President Brigham Young. By 1864 they were financially able to buy a city lot and build a small home of their own. Ten children, eight girls and two boys were born to them which included two pair of twins. Both sons filled missions, one, Lewis, dying in the mission field. Seven of her children preceded Lucinda in death. She passed away December 6, 1906 at the age of 63 years. Lucinda was a large woman weighing 200 pounds, 5 ft. 9 in. in height with gray eyes and brown hair. She was of a kindly disposition and happiest when performing loving service for her husband and children. She did not participate in public life and left home only to attend to religious duties or to do some kind deed for a neighbor.-- Our Pioneer Heritage, Vol. 3, p.545

[10]Naegle, John Conrad, a member of the Mormon Battalion, Company A, was born Sept. 14, 1825, in Alberschweiler, Bavaria, a son of Henry Naegle and Otilla Wisshig. After his arrival in America he changed his name to Nail, and is so named on the roster of the Battalion. In later life he was known as Naegle. He joined the Church in Bavaria, and as the only one of his family emigrated to America, arriving in Nauvoo in 1844, just after the death of the Prophet. He was exiled with the other saints and was one of the youngest men to join the Mormon Battalion. He re-enlisted in the Battalion for six months and remained in California until 1856, when he came to Utah and settled in Lehi. From May, 1873, to July, 1874, he filled a mission to Germany. Later he moved to Sonora, Mexico, where he died Sept. 10, 1899. -- LDS Biographical Encyclopedia, Andrew Jenson, Vol. 4, p.757

[11]BUSHMAN, MARTIN BENJAMIN (son of Martin Bushman and Elizabeth Degen). Born Feb. 5, 1841, Lancaster county, Pa. Came to Utah September, 1851, James Allred company. Married Lucinda Ludelia Goodwin March 21, 1863, Salt Lake City (daughter of Isaac Goodwin and Laura Hotchkiss), who was born April 4, 1843. Their children: Mary Elizabeth [p.786] b. Sept. 29, 1864; Martin Isaac b. Oct. 9, 1865, m. Ruie Holden June 4, 1890; Laura Ellen b. Oct. 9, 1865, m. William F. Butt Nov. 11, 1885; Nancy Lucinda b. Oct. 3, 1868; Sarah b. June 17, 1870; Lewis Jacob b. July 16, 1872, m. Martha Spencer Nov. 1, 1895; Edith b. March 3, 1875; Rhoda b. Sept. 5, 1877, m. William Oborn Aug. 14, 1902; Esther, twin of Rhoda; Emerett b. June 26, 1884. Family home Lehi, Utah. -- Pioneers and Prominent Men of Utah, p.785

[12]Ruby Valley is in Elko, Nevada

[13]Hammer, Hans 11 Oct 1829 - 15 Sep 1905 (son of Hans Hammer of Burgholm, Denmark). Born Oct. 11, 1829, at Burgholm, Denmark. Came to Utah 1854. Married Anna C. Reese 1853. Their children: George b. 1858; Maggie b. 1860, m. Edward Cox 1886; Aldora b. 1862, m. Henry Ashton 1887; Julius; John; William. Family home Lehi, Utah. Married Anna Christina Orego 1868 (daughter of Christian Larsen Orego, pioneer of 1866, and Maria Petersen), who was born 1839. Their children: Myria b. 1868; Elizabeth b. 1869; Joseph b. 1871, m. Zerelda Egbert 1897; Christian b. 1873; Alma b. 1875; Moses b. 1877; Samuel b. 1879, m. Linda Stewart 1899.Settled at Salt Lake City 1854, moved to Lehi, Utah, 1858. Worked on temple. Trader; hotel and livery keeper. Died 1905. --Pioneers and Prominent Men of Utah, p.911

[14]Harwood, James Taylor, 1860–1940

Autobiography (1860–1940)

Typescript. 186 pp. UU [Marriott Libr, U of Utah]

"A Basket of Chips." Anecdotal life of Utah artist. Horse stories. Veterinary experiences. Narrow escapes. Boyhood in Lehi. Early art study. To San Francisco to study art, 1885. Return to Utah. Had art students. Courtship and marriage of student Harriett (Hattie) Richards, 1891. Study in Paris. Return to Salt Lake City. Taught art in high school, 1898. Commented on own individual art works.


Another stay in Paris. Returned to Utah. Commented on state of art in Utah. ("I want to state here that the death blow to art in Utah for many years came from the public display of art differences among the artists of the state.") Teaching axioms. Moved to California, 1920. Daughter Ruth's poetry. Sickness and death of wife, 1922. Memories of parents. Chapter on smoking and drinking. Description of his children. Became head of art department, University of Utah, 1925–32. Married Ione Godwin, 1929. Exhibition, 1940. -- Davis Bitton, Guide to Mormon Diaries and Autobiographies (1977), pg.148

[15]Joseph Dorton was born June 5, 1821 in Stockport, Cheshire, England, the son of John Dorton and Catherine Karl. He married Emma Bemus and soon after they came to America settling in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Coming in contact with Mormon Elders, John Taylor and Angus Cannon, they were soon converted and baptized. The Dortons came to Utah in Captain Israel Evans handcart company arriving in Salt Lake City September 11, 1857. For a time they made their home in Salt Lake City, then moved to Lehi, Utah county where Joseph opened a butcher shop in the old Co-op Store. In April, 1858 he married Martha Clayton.

When Mr. Dorton learned of the coming operations of the Pony Express, he immediately journeyed to Salt Lake City seeking permission to build stables in which to house some of the horses used along the route. He was warned by friends of the danger connected with such an enterprise, because of the hostile bands of Indians in the vicinity of the location he had selected. However, he went ahead with his plans, built a two-room brick house for the family and a log barn for the ponies. These were situated about eight miles between Lehi and Camp Floyd on the Fairfield road. He also made a dugout for an Indian boy whom he hired to feed, water and curry the ponies. In connection with this business Joseph operated a small grocery store, and Martha made cakes, pies and bread to sell to the soldiers stationed at Camp Floyd. Ofttimes they exchanged buffalo robes for these delicacies. Water was hauled from the lake and sold for 25 cents a bucket.

After there was no further need for the ponies and Camp Floyd was abandoned, Joseph moved his family back to Lehi. He was 78 years of age at the time of his death. -- Our Pioneer Heritage, Vol. 3, p.361

[16]POWELL, JAMES Q. Born Nov. 7, 1807, in Pennsylvania. Came to Utah 1848, Zera Pulsipher company.

Married Mary Jane Cooper 1841, Lancaster, Lancaster county. Pa., who was born Oct. 17, 1810, and came to Utah with husband. Their children: Isaac b. Aug. 2, 1842, d. Jan. 1848; Naomi b. Aug. 16, 1844, m. Norman Wines Dec. 25, 1863; James b. June 15. 1846. d. Jan. 1848; Augustus N. b. Aug. 1, 1851, m. Sarah Losee July 7, 1872; Thaddeus b. Sept. 30, 1854, m. Esther Ann Ashton Jan. 24, 1883.

Married Hannah Anderson 1854, Salt Lake City (daughter of Andrew Anderson) who was born March 7, 1818. Denmark. Their children: Susan b. 1860. m. Charles C. Trane April 12, 1888; Benjamin b. March 7, 1867, m. Mary Anne Southwick.

Pioneer in sheep and cattle business; from his sheep the greater part of the clothing worn in the neighborhood of Lehi 1855-72 was made. -- Pioneers and Prominent Men of Utah, p.1112


[17]Wife of Sam Taylor, Martha Fox Taylor. “A New Broom, Every Day” Sitting in her home at Lehi, at the age of ninety years, Martha Fox Taylor dictated to her daughter, Ethel T. Scalley, the story of her life, part of which follows:

“Before we reached Salt Lake City, Uncle Charles Fox and my future father-in-law came to meet us. They had some melons with them, the first melons we had ever seen. Sam Taylor, my future husband, came along with them and there we met. He had been in Utah since 1853. I had on a very short dress and a bright red petticoat, which hung below my dress. Our dresses had been cut short to avoid catching them on the brush as we walked along. I was just getting out of the wagon, when he saw me and after teasing me about my long legs and short dress, he turned to Uncle Charles and said: "If she ever comes to Lehi, I will marry her." This he did on November 1, 1861. We were one [p.534] of the first three couples from Lehi to be married in the Endowment House. The other two couples were Ollie Ellingson and Abigail Evans, and Thomas Barnes and Sarah Reed. We had quite an experience the day we were married. We left Lehi in a wagon before daylight and traveled most of the day, only to find on reaching Salt Lake City that the Endowment House was full and we could not be married that day, so returned to Lehi and went back the next week and were married.


After we were married, we bought a one-room log house which belonged to William Taylor. My husband's mother gave us three plates, three cups and saucers and three knives and forks. We built some shelves on the wall, set my trunk on a pile of adobes, and started housekeeping. I cut up some of my dresses and draped around the shelves and the trunk. My window curtains were made from one of my white petticoats. One thing that I had was a new broom every day; all I had to do was to go out and gather sagebrush or greasewood, tie it in a bundle, sweep my floor, throw my broom on the fire and get a new one the next day. It may sound like a crude little place to you, but no girl was ever more proud of her first home than I was of mine.” -- Our Pioneer Heritage, Vol. 14, p.533-534

[18]See Appendix for information about “The Toll Bridge (Not included here. Contact me if you are interested.)

[19]For more information on Kate, see: Kirkham, Kate Woodhouse, 1872–1946 Journal (1872–1938)

JAMES MERCER KIRKHAM: HIGHLIGHTS OF HIS SUCCESSFUL LIFE, edited by James Amo Kirkham (Salt Lake City: 1961), pp.72–76. HDC [LDS Church Archives]

Born at Lehi, Utah, 1872. Baptized, 1882. Married James M. Kirkham, 1893. Nine children. Music. Church positions. Origin of "Singing Mothers" choruses. Lived in Lehi. Moved to Salt Lake City, c. 1922. Husband president of East Central States Mission. Excerpts from 1938 diary.

Also a summary of journal, 1939–42, by editor. Book contains many pictures and biographical material relating to husband, but none of it autobiographical. -- Davis Bitton, Guide to Mormon Diaries and Autobiographies (1977), pg.197

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------



Editors Note: This document has been retyped from Samuel Goodwin’s typed original. The original had no footnotes. The footnotes were researched and added by me. All photographs have also been added to the original document. No changes have been made in the original text, other than spelling and punctuation (plus one grammatical error which was corrected). I hope that you enjoy reading about my g-g grandfather Goodwin.


Scott Gudmundsen, Vernal, Utah, December 1997




No comments: