Sunday, May 27, 2012

Memories of Dad


I was just listening to music and the tune brought back memories of my Dad, Richard Austin Gudmundsen.

One day, not to long after we moved into our new house in Tustin, there was a heavy rain.  We had not yet put in a lawn, so the rain carved little streams through the dust in the backyard.  My Dad looked out the window and said, “Look, there is the Mississippi River, and the Missouri River flowing into it.” He continued to tell us about the ”rivers” in our backyard.  I didn’t really understand the geography then, but it was fun anyway.

Another time we were in a boat on a lake.  I can’t remember which one.  My dad was rowing us around the lake and giving us a “tour” of the world.  He pointed out different counties, and when we saw a person standing on a rock, fishing, my Dad said, “There is the Statue of Liberty!”

Sometimes he told us stories of history.  He was a brilliant, and very fun dad.

I will add more to this as I think of things I want to remember.

No comments: